Thursday, April 11, 2013

That God May Be Glorified

We had an IEP, or Individual Education Plan, meeting last week for Barrett.  He's has moderate to severe  hearing loss in both ears and was over a year speech delayed at age 3.  I have a love/hate relationship with IEP meetings.  Any parent who has been in one understands completely.  These meetings are where they (the Speech Therapist, School Audiologist, Deaf/Hard of Hearing Teacher and Classroom Teacher) tell us what he's doing great with and where he needs improvement and help.

I love the great things!  He's excelled in speech and they've "discharged" him.  He doesn't need it anymore!  He's exactly where he needs to be with his speech.  He's amazing.  He's worked hard.  We've worked hard to get to this point.

The part where they share where he needs improvement is hard for me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that his teachers are there to help out and watch over his learning.  It's just hard to hear people talk about him not excelling.  I don't want him to have to need help.  But, then I'm reminded that God made him exactly how he wanted him to be.  Barrett was made in His image.  Barrett is set apart from others to do great things.  He has to work a little harder to do some things, but he perseveres.  God set him aside to do great things and I hope and pray that he glorifies God in whatever he does.

As I was writing this I was reminded of Jesus healing the blind man.  John 9:1-5 NIV
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth.  His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"  Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.  As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me.  Night is coming, when no one can work.  While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."   

And also when Moses has his moment at the burning bush with the Lord. Exodus 4:11-12 NIV
The Lord said to him, "Who gave human beings their mouths?  Who makes them deaf or mute?  Who gives them sight or makes them blind?  Is it not I, the Lord?  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

The Lord takes responsibility for what makes us insecure.  I think our insecurities allow us to rely on God's strength.  God will use him (and all of us with our weaknesses) to do wonders.  I'm thankful that God picked me to be his mama.  That I get to be on this ride with him and see where God takes him.


Blessings,
Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment